There’s nothing quite like the taste of a pumpkin spice latte to get you in the mood for fall. I mean, as a parent, one of life’s simple pleasures is enjoying a few quiet moments with a cup of coffee before the kids get up. (Because let’s be honest, those moments are rare.) But adding a little pumpkin, some warm spices, and the coziness of fall really takes it up a notch.
I love making pumpkin spice lattes at home. It’s such a cozy, comforting drink, and it always feels like a special treat. I usually make a big batch and save it for a few days so I can enjoy it whenever I want.
This recipe is easy to make and will give you a delicious drink to enjoy while celebrating the season. You can either use fresh pumpkin puree or canned pumpkin puree; just make sure it’s unsweetened. The maple syrup adds a nice touch of sweetness, while the pumpkin pie spice gives it that classic flavor. And of course, coffee is essential for any good latte!
Pro tips for making our pumpkin spice latte
A couple pro tips for making pumpkin spice lattes:
- If you’re using homemade pumpkin puree, make sure to strain it well so there are no lumps. You don’t need to stick to pumpkin either! Any type of winter squash puree will work – red kuri would also be a really good one to try.
- You can either use milk or cream for this recipe; I prefer cream because it gives it a richer flavor.
- I like to heat the milk or cream in a saucepan before adding it to the latte, but you can also heat it up in the microwave.
- You can froth the milk or cream before adding it to the latte to make it extra decadent.
- I also recommend using a vanilla infused coffee for an extra boost of flavor.
How to get your kids interested in pumpkin with a special kid-friendly pumpkin spice latte
Kids and caffeine don’t usually mix, but that doesn’t mean they can’t enjoy a pumpkin spice latte! You can make a kid-friendly version of this recipe by omitting the coffee. Just substitute in a little extra warm milk and it’ll be like drinking a pumpkin pie! Creating a special drink you can enjoy together might just be the ticket to getting them to try pumpkin if they’ve been hesitant in the past.
Pumpkin Spice Latte
- milk frother (optional)
- coffee mug
- 6 oz milk of choice
- 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- ¼ + a dash tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 oz brewed coffee or espresso (we recommend vanilla flavored coffee)
- Mix milk, pumpkin, syrup, and spices in a small pot until it bubbles.
- Pour into mug and froth milk if desired, add coffee, sprinkle with more spice!