I always try to incorporate a healthy option that I truly want to eat during festive meals so while I consume my favorite indulgences of the season, I know I am getting a healthy option too. This also helps to keep the digestive juices flowing if you know what I mean… ;D
This week I picked up a pomegranate from my local market and was inspired to create a Thanksgiving-worthy pomegranate salad. This was not just any pomegranate salad. It is a sweet and spicy salad filled with seasonal fruit and toasted walnuts. When your husband takes one bite and tells you that he thinks this is the best salad you have ever made, you know you have a winner! And now I know what I am bringing to my “Friends-givings” potluck next week.
The star of the salad begins with picking the perfectly ripe pomegranate.
Kale, Pear and Pomegranate Harvest Salad
- 200 grams (one large bag) baby kale
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 5-6 clementines, peeled and sectioned
- 1 large pear, diced in 1 inch bites
- 1 cup of walnut pieces, toasted
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon clove
- Place cleaned baby kale in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Seed pomegranate, peel and section clementines, and dice pear.
- Toast walnuts until golden.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, orange juice, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and clove.
- Pour the dressing over the kale, then add the fruit and nuts. Toss and serve.
Tips on how to pomegranate: Pick, Prep and Enjoy the Perfect Pomegranate
Tips on how to use pomegranate: 10 Pomegranate Tips for your Holiday Feast!
Find more in the hashtag #healthyisyummy